Andrew Rowan McKenzie.
McKenzie's Vaults, Wholesale & Retail Wine & Spirit Merchant.
159 Stobcross Street, Anderston, Glasgow.
Mr Andrew R McKenzie. 1887.
The business at 159 Stobcross Street, Anderston was established by John McKenzie in 1843. Anderston was not part of Glasgow then, nothing more than corn fields and county roads separated the two towns. Folk from Glasgow used to take walk in summer nights to Anderston and headed back before night fall.
John McKenzie's son Andrew took over the business in 1876 paying an annul rent of £55.00. The business was successful from the very start and for generations the business flourished and the McKenzie family made a good living out of this old howff. Andrew had the premises modernised to keep up with the ever growing number of pubs that sprouted when Anderston became part of Glasgow.
Mr McKenzie was twice President of the Weavers' Society of Anderston, and for a long period was Honorary Director.
The pub stood on the shaded side of the street which meant nice and cool in the summer and very cold in the winter. The pub was divided into three large sitting rooms built on the box system, the cellars were always stocked with good quality liquors, sherries, brandies wines and spirit, Mr McKenzie blended all his own whisky, a bottle of McKenzie's special old Scotch would have cost 3/6, 3 shillings and 6 old pence.
On entering the pub one would have noticed the numerous pictures on the walls, photographs of canine species were everywhere. This was Mr McKenzie's hobby and business, he loved animals especially dogs, many of the photos were his own pets. His favourite were Greyhounds and Dachshunds, his dogs won several tickets and many first prizes in competitions all over the county, he won first prize in Dublin Show, 1886, first prize in Edinburgh Scottish Dog and Kennel Club Show in 1887, a first in Kilmarnock. He also had several first prizes for his terriers.
Andrew also had a certificate on the wall of his own diploma from the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons. M.R.C.V.S, a practice he still continued with and had several properties in and around Glasgow.
In his spare time he loved fishing being a member of the Glasgow St. Mungo Angling Club and won many trophies and first prizes on Loch Leven.