The Bruce Arms.
9 Townhead Street, Hamilton.
Interior view of the Bruce Arms. 1949.
The Bruce Arms; in terms of longest bars in Scotland this was one of the contenders. It was 106 foot long owned by Daniel McVeigh. Mr McVeigh entered the Licensed Trade in 1899 and completed his jubilee in the pub. He commenced business on his own behalf in 1905, when he acquired the licence for the Glenrone, Moss Street Paisley. Subsequently he disposed of it and in 1934 acquired the Bruce Arms, Hamilton.
The following year he took over the Bruce Arms, Paisley and in 1945 he added the Royal Hotel, Motherwell, the latter being transferred recently to his son Tom.
Mr Daniel McVeigh senior. 1949.
Mr McVeith was assisted at Hamilton by his son Edward and in Paisley by his son Jack. The latter served with distinction in the Navy during the war, his brother Tom serving in the R.A.F. and Edward serving in civil aviation. A forth son, Daniel G McVeigh spent six years in the Army and is now teaching.
Though he has been 50 years in the Trade, he continued in the Trade for many years. His hobbies were angling and motoring, otherwise business.