Old Glasgow Pubs.co.uk

[ skip to navigation ]
Old Glasgow Pubs by john gorevan


The Camden Bar.

103 Caledonia Road, corner of 68 Camden Street, Glasgow. S.S.


Mr Alexander McLaren

Mr Alexander McLaren. 1893.

The Camden Bar was situated at the corner of 103 Caledonia Road and 68 Camden Street. In 1893 Alexander McLaren was the proprietor and completely refurbished the premises. Mr McLaren was a native of Balquhidder, Perthshire, where he was educated. He left his birth place and came to Glasgow at the age of twenty three, and at once set to work, first of all as a porter in a stationer's warehouse, but only remained there for six months. It was in 1871 that he joined the licensed trade, of which he remained as a distinguished member.

For six years he managed Mr William Fraser's business at the foot of Pollok Street, but being ambitious, he resolved to strike out on his own account, and bought the well-known business at 146 Stirling Road. Later he acquired another pub, on Duke Street, but disposed of it in 1890. Mr McLaren was an active member of the Wine, Spirit and Beer Defence Association, an ardent Freemason (St. John's,) and altogether a most popular gentleman.

Daniel Douglas was the first licence holder and acquired a certificate in 1866. Mr Douglas lived nearby at 22 Caledonia Road before moving to 214 Crown Street. In 1870 he was running pubs at 196 Rose Street, and 124 Garngad Road.

Four years later he acquired another pub at 110 Rutherglen Road. He was now living in better accommodation at Roslyn Terrace, Pollokshields. Daniel continued to serve the locals at Caledonia Road until 1892.

The licence was then taken over by popular wine and spirit merchant Alexander McLaren. He also had a pub at 146 Stirling Road. He resided at 296 Crown Street with his wife and family. The McLaren family continued to run this pub until the 1950s.

When Alexander passed away his wife Matilda took over the running of the business. She was also running a pub at 137 Cathedral Street.


Go to top of page