Old Glasgow Pubs.co.uk

[ skip to navigation ]
Old Glasgow Pubs by john gorevan


The Castle Bar.

12 Turriff Street,Glasgow.

The Castle

The Castle Bar. 1991.

Many will still remember this old bar as the Balmoral Bar.

There has been a pub on this site since at least 1875 owned by Mr Gray. Walter Hardie took over the licence in 1891 from publican George Nicol who owned another pub on Caledonia Road at the corner of Thistle Street. Walter then expanded his empire and took over another pub in West Street. When Walter retired from the licensed trade in 1928 his son Alex took over the pub in Turriff Street then known as Elgin Street. Old Mr Hardie enjoyed nine years of his retirement before his death. Alex lost his son also Walter during the Second World War, he was a Sub-Lieutenant and was killed in service on June, he was only nineteen years of age.

Alexander K Hardie was a well known and respected member of the Glasgow Licensed Trade he was licensee of the Balmoral Bar until he retired in October 1959. Taking an active interest in trade affairs, he was for 13 years a member of the Managing Committee of the Scottish Licensed Trade Association and for several years from 1946 was a Director of the Glasgow and District Licensed Trade Defence Association.

A K Hardie was a keen Burnsian and was past president of the Royalty Burns Club.

It is sad to see this once popular local closed down.

A K Hardie group photo

This image was taken in 1958 at the Glasgow Licensed Trade Association Dance.

Left to right Mr H McCrostie, Whitbread's; Mr & Mrs J Lundie, The Cavendish; Mr & Mrs William Miller "Broon's Bar"; Mr H L Jenkins, Whitbread's; Mrs & Mr J K Hardie, Balmoral Bar; Mr F W Bowles, Whitbread's. 1958.


In the NEWS 1977...

Raiders gag pub owner's son.

Police today found 25-year-old John Colquhoun bound and gagged in his father's bar in Turriff Street, Gorbals.

He had been cleaning up shortly before midnight when there was a knock on the door. As he opened it two raiders bundled him back in and overpowered him.

999 CALL

Leaving him lying in a corner with a scarf tied tightly over his mouth, they fled with £300 and some whisky and cigarettes. John eventually managed to reach a phone and put out a 999 call. He was unhurt.

Detectives of Glasgow's Southern Division are investigating.


Go to top of page