Dirty Dicks.175 Finnieston Street, Glasgow.
Dirty Dicks 1930s.
Dirty Dick's was a favourite haunt with sailor's. To read more on the history of this popular howff click here.
In 1853 Thomas Welch ran a small public house on this site until 1860.
There were no records for anyone trading after this until 1865 when well-known and respected wine and spirit merchant J & R McIntyre acquired a licence to sell wine and spirits from these premises which were probably a new tenement with a public house on the ground floor.
Brothers John and Ronald traded under the title of J & R McIntyre and was trading from 1863 from premises at 179 Main Street, 35 Kelvinhaugh Street, and 43 Richard Street before taking over the new premises at 175 Finnieston Street.
Dirty Dick's, 175 Finnieston Street 1955.
The name of the pub then had J & R McIntyre above the door.
In 1870 John was living at 4 Gray Street just off Dumbarton Road while Ronald lived nearby at 9 Minerva Street. Ten years later the brothers had public houses at 50 Elderslie Street, 400 New City Road, 546 Dobbies Loan, 28 Burnside Street, 43 Richard Street, 49 Picadilly Street, 35 Kelvinhaugh Street and stores at 16 Cranston Street.
In 1890 the brother were trading from 175 Finnieston Street, 179 Main Street, Cranstonhill, 50 Elderslie Street, 526 New City Road, 540 Dobbies Loan, 28 Burnside Street, 43 Richard Street, 49 Picadilly Street and their offices still at 16 Cranston Street.
J & R McIntyre still traded after 1894 however the firm disposed on the Finnieston Street pub.
The next licensee was John H McLauchlin, John lived at 40 St Vincent Street and traded from Finnieston Street until the 1930s.
During the 1940s Patrick W McNulty was licensee, he also had a pub at 129 Oxford Street and resided at 87 Barnton Street, Carntyne.
During the 1950s and 60s many will still remember James McLaughlan who owned the pub, he was the last licensee before the pub was demolished.
Another view of Dirty Dick's, 1960s.
Do you remember this old pub? If so please get in touch.