161 Gallowgate, Glasgow.
J Haddock, Wine & Spirit Merchant, 161 Gallowgate. The couple at the doorway are possibly Martha and her husband Edward.
John Haddock was born around 1827 in Ireland.
He opened his first Glasgow pub in 1859 aged 32 at 1 Broad Street, Mile End off the Gallowgate near Camlachie.
In 1863 Mr Haddock moved to 170 Gallowgate near Glasgow Cross, this old pub later became Brechin's Bar.
In 1869 he opened another public house at 44 Trongate formerly the Old Bookbinders Arms Tavern. He lived at 8 South St. Mungo Street, Calton.
In 1875 John Haddock was living at 95 Whitevale Street just off the Gallowgate at Camlachie. He continued to serve the locals here until 1880. At that time he disposed of the licence at 170 Gallowgate and opened a brand new public house at 161 Gallowgate on the opposite side of the street.
1881 John Haddock was living with his wife Jane and their family at 8 South St. Mungo Street, son William was 20 years of age, he was an apprentice Blacksmith, daughter Martha age 16 was an apprentice Dressmaker, son John T age 13 and grandson Forbes Thompson age 3.
Mrs Martha Dobie. Licensee at 161 Gallowgate.
The new public house at 161 Gallowgate was situated at the corner of Little Dovehill, John owned the premises which saved him a fortune as he had no lease to worry about.
By 1887 John Haddock was living with his family at 450 Gallowgate, the following year his wife Jane was licensee, she was described as a Wine & Spirit Merchant after her husband, John probably had passed away by this time.
Jane continued as licensee until 1894 when her daughter Martha (Dobie) became licence holder.
In 1899 Martha was paying an annul rent of £39 for the premises which she was granted in 16th October 1894. Martha continued in the Licensed Trade until around 1910-11.
During the 1920s Mr T Goldwater was trading from the premises but not as a public house. The 1930s a Mr J Termelini occupied the shop, however this old shop became a well known fish and chip shop called Cha Papa which closed down in the 1990s and is now trading as a different fish and chip shop.
Cha Papa Fish and Chip shop. 1990. If you look close enough at the lane, you can make out the trap door which led to the cellar.
To read more on the pubs on the Gallowgate read up & Doon the Gallowgate by John Gorevan. A copy can be bought for a few pounds at the Hielan Jessie on the Gallowgate or contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org