The Waverley Bar, 145 Bernard Street, Bridgeton, Glasgow.
Mr Hugh McPhee. 1887.
Hugh McPhee was born in the Highlands, his father was a boat builder in Argyllshire. Hugh came to Glasgow penniless and worked in many of the old pubs in the city. In 1860 he when into business on his own and acquired a small pub on Rutherglen Road. Business was good in the Gorbals and he soon acquired his second establishment at 145 Bernard Street, Bridgeton. Mr McPhee loved poetry and was a sharp shooter, as a boy he used to shoot Seal’s and black cock’s at Ardnamurchan.