6-10 Spoutmouth, Glasgow.
A view of the Gallowgate with Spoutmouth on the left. You can just see the Lough Erne Bar. 1970s.
There has been licensed premises on this sit since at least 1830. Charles Fraser was then landlord of the tavern, he continued to serve the locals here until the 1840s. Another well known Glasgow spirit dealer to own the tavern was Robert Horn. Robert was landlord here in 1847, the name above the door was probably the Burn Bank Tavern, as he also owned the Burn Bank Tavern in Great Western Road and 53 North Woodside Road. Maybe the tavern was called this as the Molendinar Burn was in close proximity.
During the 1860s Robert Horn was running another pub at 55 King Street, Tradeston in the south side of the city. Mr Horn was then residing at 23 Main Street, Anderston.
In 1876 Robert Johnston took over the business. Robert was born in 1835 in the Campsie Glen, in the 1880s he was living with his wife Jeanie, and five daughters at 49 Kent Street, now the heart of the famous Glasgow Barras. Robert was not just a spirit merchant he was trained as a Hatter before becoming a Glasgow publican.
This image of the Spoutmouth shows the Lough Erne on the right hand side. 1970s.
In 1899 the rent for his premises was £60 per annum. Robert passed away in 1908, his eldest daughter Mary became the licensee as one of the trustees of his estate. The family connection with this old public house ended in 1938 when it was sold off to wind up the estate.
After World War Two James McFadden was running the pub and in 1950 well known publican Peter Smyth took over the Lough Erne. Peter ran a successful business until the late 1960s he also ran the Gordon Arms at 134 Gallowgate at the corner of Moir Street.
Wedding photo of groom John Boyle and Clare Smyth. 1956.
The wedding of Clare Smyth daughter of Peter Smyth, to John Boyle took place at St. Conval's Roman Catholic Church, Pollok, Glasgow and the reception was held at the Marlborough in Shawlands.
Many will remember Nora McDaid, she was one of the last to run the Lough Erne Bar until it was demolished in the late 1970s.