Old Glasgow Pubs.co.uk

[ skip to navigation ]
Old Glasgow Pubs by john gorevan


The Loughswilly.

33 Cowcaddens, Glasgow.



In the 1870s Alexander Cameron was landlord here, his son also Alexander owned a small pub at 147 New City Road.

From 1889 to 1904 Stewart Wright Christie owned the property, he was a successful wine and spirit merchant who sold the pub to Hugh Miller. Mr Miller continued as licensee through the hard war times of WW1.

The McGarvey family will probably still be remembered by many locals who drank here in the 60s and 70s and even before that. Charles McGarvey ran the pub in the 1930s, he also owned a pub at 2 Swan Street, Port Dundas. In the 60s Christopher McGarvey was licensee, while there was a James McGarvey who had a pub at 938 London Road in the east end of the city.

The McGarvey family ran this old pub until it was demolished in the late 1970s. The last licence holder was Julia McGarvey Grail.


Go to top of page