The Phoenix Bar.2 Water Street, Port Dundas, Glasgow.
The old Phoenix Bar was situated on a steep hill at the corner of Water Street, Port Dundas.
The Sharkey family occupied these premises of almost one hundred years. Mary Sharkey was landlady in 1875, she took control of the business after her husbands death. Jane Sharkey a daughter of the licensee Mary, took control of the business in 1881, Jane married into the well known and respected Sherry family who owned pubs in Springburn Road, Stockwell Street, Parliamentary Road, Garscube Road, Raglan Street, Castle Street, Bishop Street, Scott Street Townhead and William Street.
Jane Sharkey Sherry later acquired another licence for premises at the corner of William Street and Stewart Street, this pub was known as Sherry's Bar, she gave this licence up in 1900 and rented the pub to wine and spirit merchant James H Sweeney for £95.00 per year. However she continued to run the Phoenix Bar,and served the locals until the end of the First World War. In 1934 Rose Ann Sherry became licensee for the Phoenix Bar, the ladies seemed to dominate the men when it came to this old pub, Rose Ann continued as licensee until the end of WW2.
George William Harper will be remembered as the licensee in the 1960s, he was the last to occupy the premises before it was demolished.