The State Bar. Lymburn's, His Nibs.
148a Holland Street, Glasgow. G2 4NG. Tel: 01413322159.
The State. 1991.
In 1905 Philip MacSorley obtained a licence for new pub on Holland Street. Philip started his career as a publican in 1886 when he owned a small public house on Pollokshaws Road in the south side of the city, this pub used to sit facing Dow's old pub near the gushet of Pollokshaws and Kilmarnock Roads.
Over the years Philip MacSorley owned some of the best pubs in the city including Garngad Road, many will still remember this old pub as the Stop Inn, The Roost, Dumbarton Road, Maitland Street, and MacSorley's in Jamaica Street. Mr MacSorley also owned his own special blend of Scotch whisky called the "Peacemaker." He also owned the University restaurant in Sauchiehall Street.
In the 1930s Daniel C Grant was running the State Bar and for the next twenty years the pub stayed in the same family. Daniel was the son of John Grant founder of John Grant Wines & Foods Ltd who controlled Rogano, Grant Arms, the Royal restaurants, the Grand Central Hotel, Belfast and various other establishments in the West of Scotland.
Daniel was born in Glasgow and educated at St. Aloysius School, Mr Grant trained as an engineer and served in the Royal Flying Corps during the First World War. On return to civilian life he entered business with his father. On his father's death in 1945 Daniel became controller and managing director of the firm. His father left a fortune in his estate valued at £870,205. He owned a vast amount of liquor which included 43,689 gallons of whisky, which realised £655,342 at the rate of £15 per gallon and also several thousands of gallons of port and sherry. Wine and spirits in premises owned by him were stated in the inventory to be worth £46,163, while his wholesale wine and spirit business and the Grant Arms, Argyle Street realised £20,000. He left £200 each to his domestic servants who looked after his house at Queensbourgh Gardens, west end.
In 1955 Mr Grant left the firm to branch out on his own with his two sons and daughter to form Rogano Ltd, controlling Rogano restaurant and a wholesale wine and spirit merchants business in Glasgow. Mr Grant was one of five Scottish members of La Conferrers des Chevaliers du Tastevin, which was an exclusive brotherhood of wine tasters of Burgundy.
In his spare time he was regularly seen angling on Loch Tay and shooting at Aberfoyle. Daniel died in 1957 aged 57, leaving his wife two sons and a daughter.
Another well known and respected publican to own the State was Raymond McCrudden, Raymond took over in 1973 and renamed the pub His Nibs. When he took over the pub he couldn't decided on a name for the pub, his son came into the bar while refurbishment was going on, he took off his coat and Raymond noticed the label on the coat His Nibs, so the name went above the door for a while. Mr McCrudden also owned some of the finest bars in Glasgow including the Inn, Old Eagle Inn, and the Mitre Bar, Brunswick Street.
Formerly known as Lymburn's and Shadows.
In the News 1972...
Well-Known City Pub Loses Its Licence
The licensee of the State Bar, one of Glasgow's best-known pubs, was refused a renewal certificate at the Licensing Court this afternoon.
Mr John Grant, who has held the licence since 1959, is to appeal at the next sitting of the Appeal Court on April 4. His licence expires on May 27.
The magistrates refused by eight votes to six to renew Mr Grant's certificate after police objected about under-age drinking at the bar at 148 Holland Street, near Charing Cross. Assistant Chief Constable, Mr Elphinstone Dalglish, said there had been five cases of under-age drinking since Mr Grant had acquired the licence.
he told the magistrates that on January 14 police raided the bar and found a number of people, all under 18, drinking, eleven were accused. Mr Dalglish referred to other cases, two in 1969, one in 1970, and one in 1972.
Mr Ian Kirkwood, QC, appearing for Mr Grant, said the four previous cases had occurred before the last sitting of the court and had not affected his licence then. He did not think this was relevant for consideration today. The main objection submitted by the police, he said, was based on January 14.
Mr Grant employed a part-time doorman to supervise one of the main doors while he watched the other. On this occasion the man was late in arriving and a number of people entered the door not supervised by Mr Grant.
Scottish International goalkeeper Alan Rough (centre) changed his role to that of a striker when he smashed open a whisky collecting bottle at His Nibs public house in Holland Street, Glasgow. The slotted bottle, one of 200 donated by White Horse Distillers to the Scottish Taverners, contained £189. Proprietor Raymond McCrudden (left) expressed thanks to all the customers who regularly donated. On the right is Dougie Wood, of White Horse. 1979.