Thomas Brown.Wine & Spirit Merchant, Glasgow.
Photograph of Thomas Brown to follow.
Thomas Brown was born in Blantyre, as a young man he came to Glasgow and entered the employment of John Scott who owned the Green Rest, 120 John Street, Bridgeton. Young Thomas worked his way to the top and managed the pub, on Mr Scott's retirement Thomas took over the pub as his own. He was successful in the trade and acquired another pub at 16 Canning Street (London Road.)
In 1883 Thomas took over yet another pub at 278 Parliamentary Road known as the Glen Leven Bar, other pubs were acquired to his small empire of public houses including The Clutha Vaults, 11 Park Place, 16 South Wellington Street, and a pub at Stonefield Street corner of Mathieson Street, Stonefield Street was later changed to Adelphi Street. Thomas lived in a grand house called Hope Villa, Crosshill.