Do You Have Relatives that once owned a Pub

Discuss Glasgow's fantastic history.

Do You Have Relatives that once owned a Pub

Postby glasgowpubsforum » Sat May 09, 2015 11:21 pm

Do you have a relative that once owned or rented a pub? If so please get in touch, we would love to feature them on oldglasgowpubs. :geek:
glasgowpubsforum
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Do You Have Relatives that once owned a Pub

Postby Blairgowrie » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:30 pm

Hi

My great great great grandfather, David Carfrae, was the publican of the Museum Tavern at 2 Kent Street in the Gallowgate in 1833/34/35. Does anyone have any information on this pub ( I know it no longer exists)
Blairgowrie

Postby glasgowpubsforum » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:43 pm

Hi mate,

In 1809 James Carfrae was a paper mould maker at Carswell's Court, George Street.
In 1810 James Carfrae a paper mould maker left at Dalmuir paper warehouse.
In 1819 James a paper and rag cellar at 386 Gallowgate.
In 1825 James Carfrae paper mould maker at 399 Gallowgate and John Carfrae had a paper and rag cellar at Little Dovehill off the Gallowgate.
In 1829 James was a paper mould maker at 41 Charlotte Street near Gallowgate. While John paper and rag Cellar Little Dovehill, off Gallowgate.
In 1830 John Carfrae sen, rag warehouse 3 Little Dovehill and James paper mould maker at 132 Gallowgate.
In 1831 James paper Mould maker at 132 Gallowgate, John sen., rag warehouse, 3 Little Dovehill, and James had the Museum Tavern 132 Gallowgate.
In 1832 John paper mould maker 132 Gallowgate. Mrs Carfrae rag warehouse 1 Little Dovehill and James had the Museum Tavern 132 Gallowgate.
In 1833 and1834 David Carfrae had the Museum Tavern 2 Kent Street off Gallowgate.
In 1837 John Carfrae & Co paper and rag merchants 73 London Street near Gallowgate he was living at 8 Saltmarket.
In 1840 David Carfrae preserver of Birds and Quadrupeds at 64 Nelson Street.

All the names above are the same family.

Hope this helps

Cheers Admin John Gorevan
glasgowpubsforum
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mmelash » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:25 am

Hi there
My Great Great Grandfather owned "businesses" at 66 Rottenrow and 16 Taylor Street Glasgow. He lived at 24 Taylor street and was listed as a Wine and Spirit merchant. His name was James Gallacher. I have searched your site but cannot find reference to him anywhere, but I have a copy of his Will/ Sheriffs court inventory. I would have thought that the businesses he had would have been pubs but would be glad of any other information about him. Thanks, Carol Leahy
mmelash

Postby glasgowpubsforum » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:26 am

Hi There,
Please email me at john@oldglasgowpubs.co.uk regarding your family wine & spirit merchant, 66 Rottenrow, & Taylor Street.
Cheers
John Gorevan
glasgowpubsforum
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Glasgow History