Old Glasgow Pubs.co.uk

[ skip to navigation ]
Old Glasgow Pubs by john gorevan


The Corner Bar.

51 Blythswood Street, Glasgow.


The Corner Bar

The Corner Bar was situated at the corner of Blythswood Street and Waterloo Street.

Blythswood Street was formerly known as Mains Street.

In 1874 Andrew Frost owned this old pub, he also owned the old Victoria Bar, St. Vincent Street which later became known as the Dew Drop.

His wife Rachel took over the following year and continued as licence holder until 1878.

In 1898 Eva Manson Sturrock acquired the licence, the pub was then known as the Waterloo Vaults. Mrs Sturrock was still the holder the the licence in 1919.

In 1926 William Y McCreadie was licence holder, William was a Director of the Glasgow and District Licensed Trade Defence Association as a representative of the Blythswood Ward, he was also president of the Royalty Burns Club, in his spare time he played bowls.Mr McCreadie died in 1945, his wife Margaret continued as licence holder. The family continued in this pub just before it was demolished in the early 1960s.

William McCready group photo

This group of Glasgow and District Licensed Trade Defence members on a days outing to Oban. 1937. Front row left to right, Frank Jeans, W Y McCreadie, John Burns, John Russell, James Denholm, president, Archibald McNiven, Vice-president, William Jamieson, Hon. treasurer, John Holmes, John McKinnon, William Cosgrove and Kenneth McLean. Back row Alexander Graham, W J McDowall, secretary, James Clelland and Patrick McKay.

Mr Kenneth McLean.

The Corner Bar Blythswood Street

Another view of the Corner Bar.

Cowcaddens Ward 1962

Here are some principal personalities who attended the smoker dinner held at Belmont House, Glasgow, by the Cowcaddens Ward of the Glasgow Association in 1962. Left to right: Mr G Ramster, Glasgow Association Office; Mr H Doherty, Symposium Bar, Cowcaddens Street; Mr N Jones, Cross Keys, St. Peter's Street; Mr J Dougan, Dougan's Bar, Springburn Road; Mr R Lemon, Lemon Tree, Parliamentary Road (Ward Convener); Mr W J Bennet, Port Dundas Road; Mr W B Gow, Bristol Bar, Cowcaddens; Mr J Lanagan, Maitland Street; Mr T F Flynn who succeeded Mr Gow as president of the Glasgow Association; Mr D McNiven, Argyle Arms, Kennedy Street; and Mr W J McDowall, Secretary, Glasgow Association.


Go to top of page