Old Glasgow Pubs.co.uk

[ skip to navigation ]
Old Glasgow Pubs by john gorevan


The Cot Bar.

67 Castle Street, Glasgow.


Cat Bar

The Cot Bar sat at the gushet of Castle Street and Glebe Street.

There has been licensed premises here since at least 1872, owned by Mr Letham. In 1876 George Crichton took over the pub. George was a wine and spirit merchant, he also owned premises at 352 Townmill Road, this old pub was to become known as Watery Willies. Mr Crichton gave up the Cot Bar in 1881.

Colin Campbell then took over the old pub from 1882 until the start of the First World War. Colin also owned a pub on the Gallowgate called the Lord Clyde, this very old dirty Gallowgate howff became known as the Clyde Vaults owned by the Breen family.

After WW1 John Smith was licensee for the Cot Bar. During the 30s Peter MacPherson took over the running of the pub, he also had premises on London Road. Tennent Caledonian Brewery took over the pub managed by Alexander McEwan, he was also licensee for other Tennent's pubs on London Road, Paisley Road West and Kelvinhaugh Street.

The Old Cot Bar was demolished to ease congestion on Castle Street, a plan that never worked, Castle Street today still has the same problem with traffic.


Go to top of page