The Glen Afton.297-99 Hope Street, Glasgow.
The Glen Afton. 1960s
The Glen Afton was situated at the corner of Hope Street and Wemyss Street. Wemyss Street was formerly called West Russell Street.
In 1870 wine & spirit merchant John Gibson Patrick traded from a small public house on this very spot. Mr Patrick formerly worked for and became partners with James Harvey, James Harvey occupied licensed premises in the Candleriggs from the 1830s. When both the gentlemen got together they traded under the title of James Harvey & Company, by this time they were trading in Paisley and Glasgow. Other licensed premises were added to the firm which included Candleriggs and Bishop Street, by 1867 John was sole proprietor trading from 228 Hope Street and 38 Stirling Street. John was living out at Yoker Lodge, Yoker with his family.
John Campbell's Bar. 1933.
Mr Patrick took over new premises at 297-99 Hope Street in 1870 and traded here for over ten years before the pub was sold to another partnership Fulton & Cassels. James Fulton and James Cassells traded here for a short period and the pub to John Campbell.
Mr Campbell was well established as a wine & spirit merchant in the city as he occupied Campbell's Vaults at 227 Cowcaddens, many will remember this old pub as the Mermaid.
John Campbell died in 1936, however the pub stayed in the family and the licence was transferred to David D Campbell, David ran this pub a few years after the end of WW2.
William Stoddart then took over and continued as licensee until the 1960s when the pub was demolished in the way of redevelopment in the city.