Old Glasgow Pubs.co.uk

[ skip to navigation ]
Old Glasgow Pubs by john gorevan


Hughes Bar.

564-66 Springburn Road, Glasgow.


This old Springburn landmark was established in 1871 by wine and spirit merchant John Hughes. Other members of his family owned pubs at 588 Springburn Road, and 147 Springburn Road, (Caley Bar.)

John ran this old pub until 1875 then Andrew Hughes took over the license. He continued to run the pub with success and was closed down before the First World War. This old pub was situated right next door to the Stag Inn.

During the 1970s Alexander Massey & Sons Ltd Grocers was trading on the same site.


Go to top of page