Old Glasgow Pubs.co.uk

[ skip to navigation ]
Old Glasgow Pubs by john gorevan


The Oasis.

496 London Road, Glasgow.

Oasis London Road

The Oasis Bar 1960s.

This part of London Road was formerly called 40 Canning Street. The pub sat near Arcadia Street Intersects and near the Arcadia Picture Hall.

There has been licensed premises here since at least the 1870s, owned by John Burns a prominent wine and spirit merchant in the east end of the city, he also traded at 517 Gallowgate, 111 George Street and 209 Main Street, Bridgeton.

In the 1890s wine & spirit merchant Duncan Campbell was licensee, he also owned pubs at 24 Brown Street, Anderston and 10 Douglas Street at the corner of Holm Street. He took over the Anderston premises in 1885, two years later he took over the Douglas Street premises.

Oasis Bar London Road

Another view of the pub same date.

Another well-known wine and spirit merchant to hold the licence was Thomas Nicholson, he took over the premises at the end of the 1890s. His son Alexander became licensee in April 1900 and continued a successful business until the mid 1930s.

Afterwards Francis Patrick McAvoy took over the Oasis. During the First World War Mr McAvoy traded at premises at 196 Rose Street at the corner of Cumberland Street in the south side of the city in the 1910s he also had a pub at 59 Thistle Street, Gorbals, (Horn Bar) in the 20s he was running a public house at 332 Scotland Street at the corner of Watt Street and during the mid 30s had premises at 52 Park Road and 650 Gallowgate (Barr's old Pub). During the 1930s Francis was living at 15 Partickhill Road.

One of the last publicans to hold the certificate was James G Wilson who ran the pub in the 1960s, the pub was pulled down shortly after in a massive clearance in the east end of the city that saw many old businesses, shops and pubs disappear over night.

Oasis Bar London Road

The Oasis on the far right. 1960s.


Go to top of page