Old Glasgow Pubs.co.uk

[ skip to navigation ]
Old Glasgow Pubs by john gorevan


Slowey's Bar.

538-40 London Road corner of 1 Blackfaulds Place, Glasgow.

Slowey's Bar London Road

Slowey's Bar circa 1960s.

In 1863 Wine & Spirit Merchant William McLaren was licensee for these premises at Canning Street (London Road), he was also running two other pubs one at 361 Gallowgate and 169 Castle Street. He was living at 10 Barony Place at this time.

By 1880 John McLaren was running this were successful public house. In 1895 John Cameron was the new licence holder, John also had a pub at 322 London Road (Jack's Bar)., his brother Duncan ran pub at 22 Cook Street in the south side of Glasgow.

The following year Duncan Cameron was running licensed premises at 22 Cook Street, 322 London Road (Jack's Bar), 165 Allison Street ( P J Neeson) and Canning Street (London Road).

Just before the First World War the licence was transfered to Mary Ann Settle Andrews Stewart, the first female to hold the certificate. At the turn of the 1930's Daniel Stewart was licensee he continued to serve the locals for a couple of years.

In 1934 Elizabeth O'Connor Slowey acquired from he late husband Patrick, the licence at 540 London Road. The name above the doorway was now Slowey's.


Go to top of page